Fair Shares set up the first time bank in the country and the Gloucester branch has been in operation and thriving since the year 2000. We have participants from all across the city from a diverse background of ages, cultures and abilities. We do all the usual timebanking activities, encouraging people to help others in the community through two-way acts of being a good neighbour. But we also have a number of different projects that participants take part in:
- A community workshop where participants can learn woodworking or take part in community projects, such as making planters and benches for local schools or wooden sculptures for parks and the City Centre.
- A community allotment which not only is about food growing but about creating a welcoming and friendly open space for the local neighbourhood. We regularly have events there such as art groups, activity days for kids and pizza sessions.
- A weekly lunch group on Mondays which is a great time to share a meal but also for participants to meet up, socialise and find out what else may be happening during the week.
- An arts and crafts group for people to explore their creative side.
- A youth project where we encourage and support young people to help out in their communities through timebanking.
- Lots of trips and outings throughout the year – after all we all want to have some fun!
- We also link closely to lots of different community groups and provisions across the city to work together on larger Gloucester issues such as the holiday food and activities provision for school kids.
We like to think there’s something for everyone and are always open to new ideas about what to do next!